Tis the season, falling leaves, and dangers lurking everywhere. With the holidays upon us, there are clear and present dangers to our dogs: We all know about lighted candles, chocolate, mistletoe, and Xylitol by now. But what about the lesser-known dog poison emergencies that rear their ugly heads throughout the fall season? Here’s a dog poison prevention guide to fall safety: And please tell your family and friends via sharing this post.
Liquid Potpourri: Yes, the smell of pine, nutmeg, or autumnal flavorings sounds appealing, but even a few licks of liquid potpourri can cause serious harm to pets: Cats are more sensitive and can suffer severe chemical burns, but dogs are also at risk. Opt for scenting your abode with a non-toxic candle or keep any liquid scents up high and out of prying paws and tails reach.
Antifreeze: Winter is in the air and some part of the country have already been pummeled with snow. Antifreeze is found in numerous substances, including our cars. However, antifreeze is often found in imported items like holiday snow globes. If a snow globe falls and cracks open, dogs may be tempted to lick the sweet smelling liquid. Even one teaspoon of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) can cause serious harm and even death in a small pet. Keep the number of the Pet Poison Helpline or other veterinary emergency center handy. Even better, keep snow globes away from a dog’s reach or where they can fall and break.
Japanese Yew: With the month of November, folks begin decorating their homes with holiday decor and that means tinsels, trees, and more. Florists are starting to incorporate Japanese Yew into more and more wreaths. All parts of this evergreen are extremely poisonous, so always check with your florist before ordering or sending a wreath to a pet home.
Mushrooms: As we walk our dog daily, we are noticing more and more mushrooms in our area popping up in moist or damp fields. Some mushrooms will irritate a dog’s stomach lining if ingested but others can be toxic if the species is not known. Imagine your dog eats a mushroom, perhaps you have no idea this happened, or you don’t know the type of species it is. Dogs may have hallucinations and suffer from seizures, too. If a dog eats mushrooms before you can stop him, pick a few mushrooms, and according to Pet Poison Helpline, wrap them in a paper towel and never plastic. Take the mushrooms and dog to a veterinarian immediately.
Alcohol: Not just the liquor store variety, but alcohol from mouthwash and other alcohol-containing liquids can shut down a dog’s body systems if too much is ingested. Perfumes and common cooking extracts like vanilla may contain as much as 35 percent alcohol by volume, so keep anything containing alcohol away from a dog’s reach, jump or nose. Effects of alcohol on a dog can be fatal, as a dog’s stomach can absorb alcohol completely within 20 to 30 minutes.
Expired Dog Food and Treats: When is the last time you checked your dog’s treat and dog food expiration dates? If you have no idea of the expiration date, time to chuck ’em. Dogs can get sick or worse with treats gone bad. You wouldn’t drink old milk right? Dogs are the same way – bad treats are bad treats. If you can’t remember when you purchased that bag of treats, better to be safe than sorry. Take a half hour on a weekend and clean that treat closet or bin out.
Salmonella: In a dog or a cat, pet parents will see symptoms including diarrhea, decreased appetite, fever, and excess salivation. Pets also appear very tired. Diarrhea in some animals may have blood or mucus.If Salmonella is suspected in either a human or a pet, it is critical to contact your healthcare professional as soon as possible.
How to protect yourself and your pet:
o For commercial pet food, be sure it’s from a well-respected, reputable manufacturer
o Ask about the quality and safety in manufacturing practices
o Ask if foods are routinely tested for Salmonella
o Ask if manufacturing processes ensure that all of its pet food products are safe for feeding
o Ask if meat ingredients such as poultry are sourced from USDA facilities
o What is the company’s protocol for testing their products? Does their website talk about quality and safety?
Cook Cook Cook
o Cook meats thoroughly!
o Your pet’s food should be cooked thoroughly
Carbon Monoxide: Just like people, pets can be overcome with carbon monoxide. Have a furnace check—both odorless and invisible, carbon monoxide poisoning is always a danger year round.
Mothballs: Ingestion of mothballs can cause liver issues, respiratory failure, seizures, heart problems, and, ultimately, death. Some dogs are curious about the scent of mothballs, and in my neighborhood I’ve seen them lining the gardens and flower beds of well-manicured lawns. Critter deterrent, yes; dog enticement for many pooches, yes.
The toxic vapors of mothballs can cause harm to both people and pets. Naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene are two chemicals that are infused into a mothball, both of which release toxic vapors that can harm living beings. Mothballs should be kept in airtight containers and not where pets can easily access them. We’ve taken to cedar shavings in my household, with great moth-repellant success.
Question: Has your dog ever been rushed to an emergency vet? Any tips we missed?